Submissions must be received by no later than 06 March 2023
The Independent Electoral Commission has put out a call for nominations to its ranks.
The IEC, through South Africa’s chief justice, in his capacity as the chairperson of the panel comprising representatives of the South African Human Rights Commission, the Commission for Gender Equality, and the Public Protector, established in terms of section 6 of the Electoral Commission Act of 1996, invites nominations for a vacancy of an IEC member.
The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, read with the Electoral Commission Act, provides that members of the commission must be men and women who:
- are South African citizens;
- are fit and proper persons to hold that office; and
- do not at that stage have a high party-political profile.
The president appoints members to the commission for a term of seven years.
Nominees must indicate their availability to serve full-time or part time.
Each candidate’s nomination(s) must be accompanied by:
- a motivation of suitability, if any;
- the candidate’s written consent;
- a copy of the candidate’s South African identity document; and
- a comprehensive curriculum vitae.