The ad hoc committee established to nominate a person for the appointment of public protector has announced the long-lost of candidates for the post. The committee received a total of 73 nominations and applications – seven candidates declined their nomination while others were not contactable so they could accept the nomination. These, and a number of others who were nominated verbally and have been declined, will be removed from the list.
The committee can safely say, therefore, that it has 59 candidates to be considered for short-listing. It is gratified not only with the number of names submitted, but also that there are more than 20 women among the candidates.
Members of the public are thus encouraged to scrutinise these names and CVs and send their comments or objections to firstname.lastname@example.org, for the attention of Mr Vhonani Ramaano. The deadline for comments or objections is Friday, 8 July 2016.
Candidates will receive a questionnaire to complete and return to the committee. This information will help the committee to draw up the short-list and later, in the interviewing stage.
People who submit comments and objections are asked to disclose their identity in order to authenticate their submissions. It should also be borne in mind that, objections against a nominee or applicant will not be automatically used to eliminate a particular candidate. The committee will follow due process in validating such objections.
The list of candidates, in alphabetical order of surnames, is as follows:
3. Ms Melanie Bernard (Fryer) (not contactable)
12. Adv Andrea Gabriel SC (not contactable)
13. Ms Nombonisa Gasa (nomination declined)
16. Ms Pregs Govender (nomination declined)
17. Adv Mojankunyane Gumbi (not contactable)
20. Mr Nick Haysom
24. Mr Ashook Kirpal
27. Mrs Graca Simbine Machel (nomination declined)
28. Adv Zwelethu Madasa (nomination declined)
29. Adv Thuli Madonsela (term not renewable)
31. Mr Zola Majavu (nomination declined)
39. Justice Yvonne Mokgoro (nominated declined)
44. Ms Audrey Mpofu
47. Mrs M Mthebule
48. Adv MM Mthembu
52. Mr Krish Naidoo
53. Mr Gerrie Nel (nomination declined)
54. Mr Nhlanhla Nene (nomination declined)
61. Adv Vusi Pikoli (nomination declined)
67. Ms Bawinile May Thabethe (nomination declined)
69. Adv Randal Titus
71. Mr Vuyisa Vuza