By Thato Mahlangu
Allegations of an irregular ICT tender awarded by the Gauteng provincial government has prompted Premier David Makhura to request the Special Investigation Unit (SIU) to probe the matter.
On Monday, Makhura said in a statement he wants the SIU to investigate whether a tender awarded to the Gauteng Department of e-Government could have been obtained irregularly.
The African News Agency (ANA) reported on 6 April 2020 that a R30-million contract was awarded to a company called In2IT Technologies after the tender process had been open for only two business hours.
“The Gauteng government authorities allegedly used the current coronavirus pandemic to rush through the information technology contract without following proper tender processes,” ANA reported.
Online information technology publication ITWeb reported last week that their investigation revealed that irregular expenditure incurred by Gauteng’s e-government department over its cyber security contract now stands at R104 million.
The premier’s spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga said on Monday that Makhura views these allegations in a very serious light, hence his request to the SIU to immediately start the investigations which would prove whether or not the department followed due processes when the tender was awarded.
“Premier David Makhura notes with concern the allegations of a tender that was irregularly awarded by the [Gauteng] Department of e-Government. Accordingly, he has requested the SIU to immediately investigate the allegations so that appropriate action can be taken should these allegations be proven to be true,” Mhaga said.
Through his spokesperson, Makhura said that over the years the Gauteng provincial government has done tremendous work to promote clean governance and ethical leadership in the province.
“The introduction of the Open Tender System and the Ethics and Anti-corruption panel is about eliminating corruption. The provincial government will continue acting decisively on the allegations of corruption,” said Makhura.